For this video I had to do a short 5×5 vignette that consisted of five 25 second clips. The vignette was done of the river Shannon and shot from near the Treaty Stone, down Clancy Strand. Here I show the process behind the making of this video.
My initial idea was to shoot elements from off and around the river. However on the day I decided to film the river too, as well of the elements off it. My reason for this was because birds were flying over the river and I felt I could get good shots of them. My storyboard was as follows.
Initially I was required to do research which involved checking the location of the shoot, firstly to know the best way to get there and secondly to get an idea on what the content of the film might be. I also looked at a few 5×5 vignettes on Vimeo to give me an insight into what some of them looked like.
A list of other preproduction procedures I went through:
Equipment Check List
- Tape for camera
- List of Ideas
- Helpful notes for camera use
- Jacket, gloves and hat in case of changeable weather
Camera Set up
- White balance
- Sound levels
- Tape in working order
- Lens cleaned
A Recee Report
- Traffic – passing cars and from the bridge
- People – walking and speking by the river
- Council workers – had work to do in the general area
- River – birds and water
The weather forecast for the day was checked and was cloudy with rain likely. It was essential to come prepared with the right clothes and an umbrella for the camera.
Health and Safety
Some safety issues that I had to be aware of when filming were;
- The general public
- Traffic from the road
- The river – not to go too close or to be leaning over railings
- Council work - keep out of their way if they needed to do work where the shot could be got
Postproduction – Editing
I used transitions in my video when moving from the opening credits to the first clip and at the end of the last clip to the credits. I also inserted sound. I inserted background music during the entire video fading in at the start of the video and fading out at the end. I also inserted sound effects for each 5 second clip, these included;
- First clip – a bird crow – this was added to compliment the bird flying across the screen
- Second clip – traffic – this was added to the clip with the bridge and the traffic
- Third clip – thunder clap - this shot was mainly a static shot of a small boat, so a thunder clap gave it an extra dimension
- Fourth clip – ocean surf – this is a clip of the waves in the river so the sound of the ocean was added to it
- Fifth clip – ship in harbour – this was added to the final clip as it had sound from the ocean and surrounding birds, which worked well with this clip
- The background music I chose was called high price victory and I got it from the music and sound in FCP. I felt it added a nice ambience to the video.
Below is the finished video uploaded to YouTube.